08 September 2009

A Creative Day

Today . . .

Noah's Ark = shark

That's how we talk here in Australia. Well, at least with some of the guys who have to work at bushcare until they retire. We were piling and binding Elephant grass (red raw splintered hands to prove it) so it can be carried to a truck and mulched up next week. I was in various conversations with one of the guys, T., all day. We looked into the sky and noticed people jumping out of planes and parachuting down. I said, "I'd do that, but it's probably too expensive." He said, "Yeah, last I heard, it was around $600 AUD." Then, we got to talking about scuba diving in the ocean deep and how terrifying that would be. T. said, "Yeah, don't want to deal with Noah's ark." I said, "What?" He said, "You know, shark. It's how we talk."

I guess when it's obvious from the context what everyone is thinking, you don't need to use the actual word. Just rhyme it with something quite unrelated. So, bone = phone.

I got some fresh mint today and shared a leaf with Ella. We enjoyed taking turns smelling it and nibbling little bits off.

Then, I took Ella for a walk down a couple streets in our neighborhood. I stopped a couple of times to pray for God to bless the people I was seeing. I realized it made even more sense to pray for God to bless me by making me a person of integrity. I picked up a piece of rusty metal for our distressed lemon tree that needs a pick-me-up. We looked up into a Coral tree filled with Lorikeets. We walked down the hill and admired the sensory garden in a front yard. The people on the veranda there came up to the fence to admire Ella. We talked for quite a while. Apparently the man (who doesn't actually live there) was hit by a train conducted by a drunk man decades ago. None of that incident has every been reported in the news because it would've looked bad for the government and CityRail. Also of interest to me is that the home owner never had a plan for the front garden! She just went out one day and planted a few flowers here. Another day she planted some there. And now it's just a beautifully simple garden in the midst of a broken-looking neighborhood with kids tearing around on unregistered motor bikes.

I learned-or was reminded of-three things today:

Communication is creative

My daughter is in the process of being created and so am I

Creativity is beautiful no matter what surrounds it

No comments:

Post a Comment